March 02, 2011

Colours






I take the most photographs between 5-6pm. All the colours become even more alive--brighter yellows, warmer oranges, and glowing reds. Dark shadows make strong contrasts compared to the strips of light that stream between buildings. The stone eaves carved into animals, jut out from the tops of buildings and create dramatic, angled shadows across walls. My new method (to get people shots) is wait patiently, with a perfect backdrop framed, and snap when gentes (people) "accidently" walk into my fotographias. Passing through the strips of light, little do they know how vibrantly their shirts glow in the low sunlight.

My first jewelry class revealed many more tones than what I expected from silver. After sautering 2 pieces together, there were layers of warm, flame textures. Then, after hammering some shell-patterned indentations, the soaking process revealed rosy pinks. As I continued to cut and file, it gradually transformed again, like it was coated in white. My hands (on the other hand) only turned black! Silversmithing is an exciting art form, we'll see how the pendant turns out tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. It was great to meet you the other day at La Gruta in San Miguel.

    As soon as I can adjust to the afternoon heat I will also try the golden hour shots.

    Coming from deep winter the heat can be unbearable. In the mornings I have shorts and the locals have hoodies and Jackets.

    Your photos and especially the mixed media paintings are just wonderful.

    Niels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Niels, it was great meeting you too! If the heat is too much, you may want to visit Patzcuaro--being high up in the mountains, both the views and the weather are very cool!

    ReplyDelete